Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ideas for Using Canned Goods

Having been traveling for the last two weekends and not having a working oven in my kitchen at the time I have not made any really nifty or unique dishes but I have made a couple of simple ones.

One night I took a pork tenderloin, butterflied it, pounded it a little thinner than it normally is and set it aside. I drained a can of sliced mushrooms and then sauteed them in a skillet with a little olive oil and with 1/2 of a medium onion, diced, 1/4 cup diced celery and 3 cloves of minced garlic. I sprinkled a little bit of dried Thyme on. When the veggies were cooked I used them to stuff the tenderloin. I then closed it up so the veggies would stay put and secured it with toothpicks. I then put a dry rub all over the outside of the tenderloin and we cooked it on the grill. Richard really liked the veggie stuffing.

Earlier this week I chopped up two slices of bacon, put them and 1/2 of an onion which I had chopped up into a small saucepan. I cooked it, stirring occasionally until the bacon and onion were cooked. I drained off the grease and then added a can of young peas. I cooked them over low heat until the peas were heated through. This will also work with canned green beans.

Tuesday I get my new range which has two, yes two, ovens and five burners. I am very excited.

I was also thinking I may expand this blog to include was to use all the stuff I have canned here at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment